Friday, April 11, 2008

March 15th 2008

It was exciting that we would get to see our baby girl again. I was excited; I cleared my calendar and made sure I could attend. We brought my car to my work and dropped it off and then I grabbed my backpack and laptop because Kristy would have to bring me straight back and drop me off at work.

So we headed north on I-205 towards Salmon Creek. We were a bit early so we stopped so I could get a tall white chocolate mocha, 1% and no whip crème from Starbucks because I was a little tired, probably from my late night video gaming habit.

Then we zipped over and Kristy went in ahead of us because she needed to go to the rest room. And if you remember from previous blog entries when Kristy was carrying Carter, this place has a fountain out front that really does wonders for pregnant ladies with full bladders and small babies pushing on them from the inside.

Carter and I trailed behind and a big truck pulled in behind us and Carter stopped “You Heared It? Hooge Truck!”. Carter really likes any type of large vehicle or machinery. As soon as we got inside Carter started acting up a bit and right on cue, he just turned 2 years old 26 days ago (not 25 because this was a leap year) and the Terrible Twos are definitely here now.

He wanted to walk because he saw an older boy walking around another fountain structure inside the main lobby. I tried using the iphone and “Cars” and that was old news, I tried the YouTube “Excavator vs House” videos that he likes and those didn’t work. Usually he says “Dig Dig, Broke, House” or “Digger, Broke, House”.

Kristy came back out and tried to help calm him down, but he just arched his back in my arms, I think that he would make a fine wrestler and be able to bridge his way out of a number of potential pins, but I hope he plays basketball instead, then I can teach him some moves and he won’t have cauliflower ear from the wrestling mats and head gear. Right when it seemed like things were going to get out of hand the ultrasound technician came out and called Kristy’s name.

We went back and I sat in the chair with Carter and Kristy got up on the table and got ready for the ultrasound. This was the first time she didn’t have to undress and get in a gown because it was just for dating and the measurements didn’t require a lot of different positioning of the ultrasound device.

I told Carter to watch for his baby sister on the black and white monitor they have setup for guests, partners and husbands. Carter looked at it and said “Oh, Chomp, Chomp” which translates to Alligator or Crocodile in Carter’s language. Kristy and I said “No, I don’t think there are any Chomp, Chomps there”.

And then the measurements began. I could see some fingers here, some toes there, the head being measured, the bladder, the abdomen. All the while Carter was screaming like a Banshee and arching his back and clenching his fits and biting down hard on his teeth. I was working very hard to restrain him.

And then it was over, I guess I missed a lot dealing with Carter. We got a side profile print out, I heard the mention of a side profile but I didn’t see it on the screen. It was hard to make out in the picture because she is so big in there now that the whole profile doesn’t actually fit on the screen.

Carter just kept screaming, “I want to walk, I want to walk”. Another ultrasound technician came in and gave Carter a sticker, but all he wanted to do was walk. Kristy cleaned the ultrasound gel off, took the side profile print out and we left, letting Carter walk of course. He was sniffling heavily.

He walked all the way out to the Car. We stopped, looked both ways and crossed the street. He would tell you “No, no, cars, street, bonk! No cars, quick” Which translates to, “freeze your body, don’t run out in the street or the cars might hit you, stop and look both ways, okay there are no cars lets hurry across the street.”
We tried to explain to him that it was not okay to scream like that inside and that we needed to use or inside voices. I’m sure it will take some more time for him to understand but eventually he’ll get it.

No comments: